This profile was last updated in 2005
Activities and Schedule
– Sunday School 8:45 A.M.
– Devotional Service 9:45 A.M.
– Service 10:00 A.M.
– Evening Worship Service 6:30 P.M. on the first, second and third Sundays of the month
– 7:00 P.M. Prayer Service
– 7:30 P.M. Bible Study
– 11:00 A.M. “Youth on the Move”
– 11:00 A.M. Evangelistic Meeting
Cleveland Chapel Baptist Church was established in June of 1912 by a Prayer Band Group. Mrs. Maggie Clark Wiggins led the prayer gathering and set a legacy in motion for women of the church. Later that year the group was granted land on which to establish a place of worship, and the church was launched in 1913. Reverend J.W. Wilburn was the first pastor and member of the building group. Reverend J.H. Gilmore, the third pastor, served for twenty years. During this time, the church was refurbished and church membership rose. Reverend M.H. Hackett is the pastor who is credited with the improvement of the church’s financial status. He is also responsible for the first choir and the purchase of the church’s first piano.
The congregation of Cleveland Chapel Baptist Church is compromised of a variety of people. The majority of members are African-American. There is an abundance of age groups present at services. This ranges from new-born babies to lifetime members. There is also a small group of teenagers who attend services and sing in the choir, as well a group of young adults probably in their 20-30s. The majority of members are middle-aged but there is also a sizeable portion of senor members.
Cleveland Chapel Baptist Church is situated on a country road in Chesnee, South Carolina. The sanctuary projects into a parking area while the community center/gymnasium and kitchen extend behind the main building. Offices and choir rooms are above the cooking areas.