In Episode 3 Pluralism Project Research Associates Rachel Foran and Usra Ghazi discuss encounters of religion in healthcare. The first segment, presented by Cody Musselman, features OCG audio essays on HumanismHumanism is a belief system that values reason, compassion, and hope. Emphasis is placed on human concerns and that which can contribute to human flourishing. Dogmas or creeds that in any way impede these foci are disregarded and humanity is thought to be... as a belief system and Humanism in America today. In the second segment, Rachel and Usra, via On Common Ground, discuss hospitals in a new era. The final segment is a conversation with Wendy Cadge, professor of Sociology at Brandeis University and an affiliate of the Pluralism Project.
Read full transcript.
- Abu-Ras, Wahiba; Laird, Lance; Senzai, Farid. “A Window Into American Muslim Physicians: Civic Engagement and Community Participation.” Institute for Social Policy and Understanding. 2012.
- Cadge, Wendy. Paging GodGod is a term used to refer to the Divine, the Supreme being, Transcendent deity, or Ultimate reality.: Religion in the Halls of Medicine (Chicago: University of Chicago Press), 2013.
- Cadge, Wendy; Laird, Lance. “Caring for Our Neighbors: How Muslim Community-Based Health Organizations are Bridging the Healthcare Gap in America.” Institute for Social Policy and Understanding. 2008.
- Fadiman, Anne. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux), 2012 (1997).
- The Pluralism Project – Research Report: Death in Boston: Dying, Mourning, and Religious Difference (2014)
- “Medicine and Interfaith Literacy.” Common Knowledge Podcast. Interfaith Youth Core. 2014.